Several restaurants launch a petition to demand the cancellation of the 2024 Las Vegas Grand Prix

The closure of major roads and long works ahead of the 2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix would have caused a shortfall of $30 million for several restaurants in the city. Establishments have gone out of business.

Published on 07/05/2024 à 10:20

Medhi Casaurang

0 View comments)

Several restaurants launch a petition to demand the cancellation of the 2024 Las Vegas Grand Prix

The closure of major roads has affected several restaurants in Las Vegas. Photo DPPI / Antonin Vincent

The return of the Formula 1 in Las Vegas in fall 2023 did not only make people happy. While the next edition of the event is scheduled for November 21 to 23, 2024, several important companies in the city of Nevada have signed a petition to cause the cancellation of the Las Vegas Grand Prix.

They are complaining of a significant shortfall due to the work having paralyzed several roads in the gaming capital ahead of the event. According to Fox 5 Vegas news channel, the petition was started by a group of seven business owners around the intersection of Flamingo Road and Koval Lane, who said they lost $30 million due to the disruption.

The petition asks residents to voice their dissatisfaction with the 2023 race and its impact, and calls for a full review of issues related to last year's race before a special use permit is issued for the Grand Prix in fall 2024.

« They should not issue another permit until they have looked at the whole situation,” said Gino Ferraro of Ferraro's Ristorante, who is requesting a meeting with Las Vegas County leaders and residents who were affected by the work. “ They (the organizers of the Grand Prix. Editor’s note) can hear what we have to say: what the people who work in the industry on the Strip, who took hours to get to work, have to say", continued the entrepreneur.

Other accounts outright report bankruptcy linked to the Las Vegas Grand Prix, like that of Madgy Amer, who lost all her small businesses, including the Tex Mex Tequila restaurant on Las Vegas Boulevard. “I don't want to see anyone else suffer like we did during the F1 race; we could not bear the loss of income and had to close. F1 must be held accountable and the 2024 race will have the same outcome if nothing is done to not impact the Las Vegas Strip, its employees, visitors and businesses. »

On the side of the organizers, we are turning our backs. Las Vegas Grand Prix General Manager Renee Wilm acknowledged in early May that the disruptions had disrupted the daily lives of Las Vegas residents and promised a different experience for locals during this second edition, also with efforts more important for the local population to participate in the festivities. According to her, the Las Vegas Grand Prix brought in $1,2 billion to the Las Vegas Valley.

ALSO READ > Las Vegas GP – Thousands of spectators sue the organizers

Medhi Casaurang

Passionate about the history of motorsport across all disciplines, I learned to read thanks to AUTOhebdo. At least that's what my parents tell everyone when they see my name inside!

0 View comments)